Wood saw mill The Salamander- Cancelled-In Leidschendam, there’s a beautiful working wood saw mill, called The Salamander.
A mechanism that is hundreds of years old. Wood saw mill De Salamander plays an important role in the history of Leidschendam and for a major part defines the appearance of the old Leidschendam centre near the Vliet canal. It is unique in its type and surely a monument to be proud of. And we’re going to visit the mill!
The first wood saw mill was built around 1643 and after a fire largely destroyed in 1773. Some years later the mill was rebuilt by the new owner.
For the past centuries various timber merchants owned De Salamander. At the end of the 19th century the mill underwent modernisation and became four saw-frames. A steam machine was installed to keep the mill operating during calm weather.
In 1953 wood saw mill the Salamander was closed down. Decay set in and through the years the mill deteriorated visibly. Dismantled with care.Thanks to subsidies by the local authorities, companies and friends De Salamander got a new life. The mill was rebuilt in 1989 nearer to the river bank in the old beam hole. The rebuilding and completion was very complex and finally on 25 October 1995 the sawmill could cut lumber on the old traditional way again. At the mill wood is sawn in rough planks for wood floors, furniture, ship restoration, etc. We ask the guide for the history of the sawmill and more information!
Wood saw mill The Salamander & The Hague Boat Tour Saturday June 3th 2017
- Saturday June 3th- cancelled because of the bad weather forecast-
- Boarding point ” in front of Central Station “- see the picture-
- On the opposite of Prinsessegracht 4
- Departure time 13:00 hrs.
- Arrival time wood saw mill The Salamander approximately 14:15 hrs.
- English speaking guided tour 14:30 – 15:30 hrs.
- Arrival time The Hague Central Station 17:00 hrs.
- Include welcome drink & nibbles to share.
- On the way back, some fresh watermelon to share.
- Feel free to bring your own drinks & snacks too.
- Tickets : € 25,00 p.p.